Verification & Validation Services for Maritime Transport
In June 2013 the European Commission set out a strategy for progressively integrating maritime emissions into the EU's policy for reducing its domestic greenhouse gas emissions. The new shipping MRV Regulation will apply to shipping activities carried out from 1 January 2018 in relation to EU ports.
Monitoring, Reporting and Verifying (MRV) of shipping emissions
Greenhous Gas Emissions from international shipping are a large and growing problem that is contributing to climate change. The European Union wants a global approach to reduce emissions from international shipping. As a first step towards cutting emissions, the European Commission has proposed that owners of large ships using EU ports should report their verified emissions from 2018.
- MRV Regulation 2015/757, which comes into on July 1st 2015, is a first step towards cutting CO2 emissions from maritime transport, requires operators of ships exceeding 5,000 GT to monitor and report their carbon emissions on all voyages to, from and in the EU.
- Shipping companies are requested to submit one monitoring plan per ship to a verifier/verification body by August 2017.
- From 2019 onwards shipping activities falling under the shipping MRV Regulation during the previous year shall be reported to the relevant EU Member States' authorities annually.
- Valid document of compliance issued by an independent verifier must be carried on board vessels which have performed shipping activities falling under the shipping MRV Regulation during the previous year when visiting EU ports, and might be subject to inspection by Member States' authorities.
- Failure to comply with the reporting and surrendering requirements will result in sanctions and penalties imposed by the individual EU member state to which the operator is allocated.
ETSverification GmbH provides global shipowners, operators and managers with independent emissions verification information and services that enable them to navigate the requirements of compliance efficiently and effectively.